This antioxidant berry smoothie is rich in all the nutrients you need to keep your body strong and thriving. Not only will your body love this smoothie but your taste buds will also be happy with the amazing berry and grapefruit flavours.
This smoothie is a whole foods plant-based smoothie even the kids will enjoy. It is a favourite around our house. Especially, in the winter months when fresh berries are out of season and we opt to use frozen ones in the recipe. At the end of this post, there are some great superfood options to add to your smoothies to give them a nutritional boost.
What are Antioxidants?
Antioxidants are powerful nutrients found in our food. Like the berries in this antioxidant berry smoothie. Antioxidants are key in our diet to help fight off free radical damage.
Research showed that supplementing antioxidants in a synthetic form does not help decrease cancer risks as they thought (1). But I wonder if they did a study on whole food antioxidants what results they would have.
What are Free Radicals?
Free radicals are highly unstable molecules that are formed when we eat and even exercise. We can also be exposed to free radicals from our environment. This exposure can cause “oxidative stress”, which can trigger cellular damage. Antioxidant molecules have been shown to counteract oxidative stressor in laboratory experiments. (2)
We are exposed to free radical exposure from our environment and diet by:
- Consuming fried foods
- Drinking Alcohol
- Exposure or ingestion of tobacco smoke
- From air pollutants
- Exposure to pesticides on our food and plants
This free radical damage must be kept to a minimum so that the antioxidants we consume in our diet can keep this damage in check. If free radical and oxidative stressors become too much for the body to handle it can possibly lead to:
- central nervous system diseases
- cardiovascular disease due to clogged arteries
- autoimmune and inflammatory disorders
- cataracts and age-related vision decline
- loss of skin elasticity, wrinkles, graying hair, hair loss, and changes in hair texture
- (above info in bullets is from medical news today)
The good news is that you can limit your exposure to free-radical damage and keep antioxidants strong in your body by:
- Eliminate or reduce fried foods.
- Quit smoking if you are a smoker.
- Increase the consumption of antioxidant-rich foods by eating lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Limit exposure to toxins in your environment from household .cleaning products and personal hygiene products.
- Eliminate or use protective gear for lungs and body when dealing with harmful chemicals.
- Eat organic wherever possible.
Antioxidant Berry Smoothie Recipe
Back to the recipe. If you don’t have fresh organic berries on hand, frozen works and are just as delicious. We use a lot of frozen organic berries here in the winter months as the fresh ones are expensive and just don’t taste like they do in the summertime.
Freshly squeezed grapefruit and/ or orange juice is a must. I know that it takes a little extra effort to juice them. But you are not getting the vitamin C (antioxidant) and live enzymes from the store-bought juice. They have to pasteurize the juice to be put into grocery stores. They add in vitamin C supplement after but it isn’t the same as what comes from the natural source. So opt for fresh always wherever possible.
You can add any of the following to this smoothie to give it even more of a nutritional boost:
- Spinach, kale, or dandelion leaves.
- Vegan protein powder I like Botanica’s Plant-based one.
- Greens powder I like Botanica’s Perfect Greens.
- Plant-based omega oils (great for brain health)
- Chlorella or Spirulina (helps detox heavy metals)
- Turmeric (great to help reduce inflammation)
- Collagen (great for skin and hair)
This recipe would be perfect pair with my Vegan Blueberry Lemon Oat Bars.
Thanks so much for taking the time to nourish your body with this post. If you make this recipe I would love to hear how you liked it. Please tag me @crystalhughes or comment below.
Eat with love always,
Serves 10 oz glasses
Yields 2 servings
This antioxidant berry smoothie is rich in all the nutrients you need to keep your body strong and thriving. Not only will your body love this smoothie but your taste buds will also be happy with the berry and orange and grapefruit flavour combo.
5 minTotal Time
- 2 Large grapefruits
- 2 Oranges ( we used blood)
- 1/2 cup Raspberries frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup Blueberries frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup Strawberries frozen or fresh
- 2 tbsp Hemp Seeds
- 1 Apple
- Juice grapefruits and oranges with a citrus juicer. Should make 1 1/2 cups juice.
- Cut and core apple.
- Pour grapefruit and orange juice along with raspberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, apple and hemp seeds into blender.
- Feel free to add in other powders, greens or your favourite super foods.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Serve with love.
If you want a large smoothie you can just make for one for a 20 oz smoothie