Your liver is one of the most important organs in your body. It is a filtering powerhouse. In fact every 3 minutes, your liver filters all of the blood in your entire body. Isn’t that amazing?! In this post, we are going to go over why you want to gently cleanse your liver and how you can make simple changes to your diet and life to detox your liver. Lastly, I have shared an easy and effective morning lemon water cleansing ritual, that is a game changer for your liver health.
Please always seek medical advice before starting any new health program. Read my full disclaimer here.
Why do I need to cleanse my liver? This is a question I am often asked in my nutrition practice. I tell my clients to think of your liver as a filter in a pool. Without proper cleaning and maintenance that filter will get dirty and start to clog, this will then turn the pool water into a gross mess because the filter is unable to filter out the particles. This essentially works the same as your liver. Your liver is like a filter that filters through all the toxins that enter your body. When your liver is constantly hit with toxins, chemicals, trans fats, herbicides, and drugs it starts to get clogged and then your liver doesn’t function at its optimum. This can cause your metabolic rate to drop and interfere with your thyroid functioning. In simple terms, your fat burning capabilities are compromised. So if you are having problems
The symptoms you might experience if your liver is not functioning optimally (from Nutritional pathology by Dr. Brenda Lessard-Rhead) :
- PMS and fibrocystic breasts in women
- Food allergies and Sensitivities
- Chemical hypersensitivities
- Elevated Blood Pressure
- Fatigue, depression, headaches,
anddizziness; difficulty getting up in the AM.
- Nausea, bad breath, constipation, bloating, greasy stools, and intolerance to ingest fats,
- Itching, peeling or dry skin; psoriasis, rashes
- Weak or aching joints, muscles, ligaments or tendons
- Emotional excesses and moodiness
- Puffy eyelids on rising
- Nervous energy at night and inability to fall asleep.
If you notice that you are experiencing some of these symptoms it is time to consider supporting that beautiful liver of yours!!
10 simple and effective ways to gently DETOX your LIVER!
- Avoid processed foods and foods high trans fats. Processed food put a lot of strain on your liver.
- Avoid foods that you know you are sensitive too. If you aren’t sure a food journal can help you narrow it down. (Wheat is a big one for me, personally).
- Avoid alcohol and artificial sweeteners. Limit caffeine, stimulants, and carbonated beverages.
- Drink hot Lemon water first thing in the morning. Recipe Below.
- Increase your water intake to help flush out your liver.
- Increase your leafy green vegetables and fruits.
- Eat whole grains, legumes, and foods high in fiber.
- Add in milk thistle and dandelion tea into your snack time.
- Reduce your stress in your life.
- The liver holds angry emotions. If you are angry on a regular basis, reach out to find support to release your anger and resentment. I can help.
Lemon water is one of the most powerful and simple ways to detox your liver. In order for it to be the most effect you need to drink it upon rising and 30 minutes before you have anything else to eat. I usually get up make myself a cup and then have my shower and get ready, then have breakfast.
Simple Lemon Water Recipe
1 Cup hot water (you don’t want it boiling as it will destroy the live enzymes)
1/2 squeezed lemon (always use organic lemons)
Place in a favourite mug, sip and enjoy!
If you want to learn more about detoxing your liver you can book a FREE 15-minute consultation with me here. Also, make sure you sign up to my blog to stay tuned for my upcoming EBOOK with a full protocol for cleansing your liver.
With love and health,