Want a low-carb refined sugar free delight?! This Fudgy Peanut Butter Cashew Ice Cream is so rich and creamy that it will satisfy anyone’s taste buds. No ice cream maker?! No problem, this recipe has an option for both!
What makes this cashew ice cream so damn good?! Well, it has to be American Dream Nut Butter Grandmas Peanut Butter Fudge. This stuff is the bomb! To make this ice cream totally Vegan you can use their just plain Nutty Peanut Butter.
Ingredients and substitutions for Cashew Ice cream
Cashews– These need to be soaked the night before overnight. You can speed up this process by adding them to a pot cover with water, place on the stove, bring to a boil and remove from heat. Let sit for 15 minutes.
Peanut Butter- I used American Dream Nut Butter Grandmas Peanut Butter Fudge. To make this recipe fully vegan you can use their plain Nutty Peanut Butter. You could also use almond butter instead as well.
Coconut Milk– You want the coconut milk from a can, not out of a box. Can of coconut have a higher in fat content. Thai Kitchen Brand is my favourite one to use. A lite version wouldn’t work well for this recipe because the fat content would be too low.
Dates– If your dates are hard, you will want to soak them in some hot water to soften them. Dates also help keep the ice cream creamy and soft as well.
Pecans– This gives the ice cream a little crunchy texture. If you wanted to use some chocolate chips or another type of nut like peanuts, almonds, or cashews you can do that as well.
Vanilla Extract- Any liquid vanilla extract will be amazing for this recipe. If you had whole vanilla beans around you could use vanilla beans for this recipe as well.
Xanthan Gum– This keeps the ice cream creamy. You could also sub for Guar Gum as well. If you get it from a place that sells bulk items you can just purchase a small amount. You can also omit this and add in 4 more dates to help keep it creamy.
Making the creamiest Cashew Ice Cream
I have done a lot of reasearch and trial and error, when it comes to making delicious creamy ice cream and here are some tips that are worth noting.
- Xanthan Gum– This will keep your ice cream smooth and creamy. You can also sub for Guar Gum or omit altogether and add in 4 more dates.
- Ice cream machine– This isn’t a must, but it helps make the creamiest ice cream. Review my tips below if you don’t have access to an ice cream machine.
- Scooping when soft– I love to scoop all my ice cream into scoops while it is soft and then freeze those scoops on a baking sheet in the freezer. This makes for a quick grab and goes ice cream, already in the perfect portions.
Blending the perfect Cashew Ice Cream
You do need a high powered blender for this recipe. I tried with a food processor and couldn’t get it quite smooth enough.
Tip 1– Make sure your cashews are well soaked. Under the substitution heading, it will give you a tip to soak your cashews in just 20 minutes. Otherwise just set them on the counter the night beforehand.
Tip 2- If the mixture is too thick add a 1 tbsp of nut milk at a time until your blender is able to blend. Scraping down the sides will also help with the blending.
Make without an Ice Cream Machine
This method works just as good. You can add in 2-4 more dates into the ice cream mixture to help it freeze while keeping its creaminess.
I find using a loaf pan is the best way to freeze ice cream. Firstly pour half the mixture into the bottom of the pan. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of peanut butter and 1/8 cup pecans. Drag your spoon back and forth to mix into a marble effect. Then top with remaining mixture and top with one more tbsp of peanut butter and 1/4 cup of pecans. Swirl again with a spoon.
Place into the freezer and let freeze for 2- 3hours. When still soft you can scoop into scoops and freeze the scoops on a cookie sheet. Then store your perfectly scooped ice cream scoops in an airtight container for easy serving.
Make with an Ice Cream Machine
Make sure you completely freeze your insert for the ice cream maker, this can take up to 2 days, depending on your freezer.
This will make your ice cream extra creamy. I found I only needed to churn it for 10-15 minutes on the ice cream setting. This kept it soft enough to drizzle in the peanut butter and sprinkle on the pecans.
I hope you love and enjoy this recipe! My girls were all over this ice cream and kept sneaking back for more. You can pair this with a healthy Detox Bowl to make the perfect evening meal and treat!
With love from our kitchen to yours,
Yields 10 Servings
Want a low-carb refined sugar free delight?! This Fudgy Peanut Butter Cashew Ice Cream is so rich and creamy that it will satisfy anyone's taste buds. No ice cream maker?! No problem, this recipe has an option for both!
1 hr, 9 Total Time
- 1 1/3 cup cashews soaked overnight (or refer to blog post to speed this up to 20 minutes)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 heaping tbsp American Dream Grandmas Peanut Butter Fudge
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 6 or 10 dates (if omitting xanthan gum use 10 dates)
- 1/3 cup nut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts like pecans or peanuts
- 2 tbsp American Dream Grandmas Peanut Butter Fudge
- Place soaked cashews, coconut milk from can, dates, vanilla, Xanthan Gum, Grandmas Peanut Butter Fudge from American Dream Nut butter, and nut milk into a high powered blender and blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, try scraping downsides and add 1 tbsp more of milk. If wanting it more sweet, you can add a few more dates.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and press the ice cream function. My ice cream maker only took 15 minutes until finished.
- If you don't have an ice cream maker, no problem. Follow the steps outlined in the blog post.
- You don't want your ice cream to be completely frozen; you want it still smooth and creamy coming out of the ice cream maker.
- Once the ice cream is frozen and still creamy, place 1/2 of the ice cream into a loaf pan and drizzle with 1 tbsp of American Dream Grandmas Peanut Butter Fudge and 1/8 cup diced nuts (I used pecans). Swirl with a spoon and top with the rest of the ice cream. Top again with 1 tbsp Peanut butter and 1/8 cup diced nuts.
- Place in the freezer for 20 mins.
- Remove from the freezer after 20 minutes and scoop into roughly ten scoops and place it into a cookie sheet. Place back into the freezer until frozen solid and store in a freezer bag or storage container. Makes for quick ready to eat servings.
- If you didn't pre scoop the ice cream, let warm on the counter for 5- 10 minutes to soften before scooping.
This post was sponsored by American Dream Nut Butter.