The juicer at our house is out on a regular basis making this Green Power Juice. My girls have grown up with green juice in their baby bottles. I just love taking greens that are left over in the fridge and juice my little heart out. Today I wanted to share a few of my juicing tips that I use.
- Always use organic fruits and vegetables when possible for juicing. Chemicals are something that you do not want in your juice. If it isn’t possible to get organic produce. Buy an organic fruit and veggie wash it will clean off most of the waxes and chemicals on the exterior of the fruit or vegetable.
- Make sure that your produce is fresh. The longer our food sits in the fridge or transportation from another country the more nutrients are lost. I do my best to eat local produce here in the summer months so I know I am getting the freshest food possible.
- Always peel your citrus fruit. I have some clients juice with the peel still on and it makes your juice bitter.
- Start off with a little more fruit and then add less each time to let your palate adjust to a less sweet juice. My girls at first needed a lot of apple in the green juice to make it get them to drink it. But as time went on I slowly started to add fewer apples and they didn’t even notice.
- Chew your juice! This seems wild, but your belly needs to know what is coming and to prepare the appropriate enzymes needed to get every nutrient possible out of your juice. When we chew the juice we start to break it down in our mouth and our stomachs know something delicious is coming down.
Have fun with green juice! The possible flavor combinations are endless. Here are some fruits and veggies that are green that you can add to your juice!
- Green Apples
- Green Grapes
- Limes/ Lemons
Here is a base green smoothie recipe to get you started. Let the wave of inspiration for juicing take over your senses and try new ones out. If it tastes gross go back and try adding a little more fruit 🙂
Serves 8 oz juice
Yields 2 servings
Want a wonderful green juice to nourish your body? This is a great beginner green juice recipe as it isn't bitter. Nourish your body with greens everyday.
10 minTotal Time
- 3 green apples
- 1 large handful of kale
- 1/2 small fennel bulb
- 1-inch ginger
- 1/2 large cucumber
- 1 handful mint leaves
- 10 celery sticks
- 1 lemon
- Cut and wash all produce. Peel your lemon. Put through the juicer and enjoy.
- Can be kept in the fridge for a day. But will slowly lose nutrients when kept for any length of time.