These Healthy Vegan Blueberry Lemon Oat Bars will have you jumping for your afternoon snack! Packed with healthy ingredients and whole grains you won’t be having a sugar slump after these delicious bars.
My girls loved these oat bars and with all the substitution options in this post you can tailor the recipe to suit your needs. I love seeing how people take a recipe and make it theirs. Let’s talk about all the nutritious ingredients in these bars.
Ingredient Nutrition Benefits
Blueberries– Blueberries are packed full of antioxidants, high in vitamin C, and Vitamin K. Vitamin K is great for bone health. I gave it to my daughter who was getting cavities and she hasn’t had one since. Source
Chia Seeds– are loaded with fiber, protein, omega-3 fatty acids and various micronutrients. They are great to help you feel full and satisfied so you don’t overeat. Chia seeds might even help you lose weight. Source
Sprouted Whole Spelt- Using sprouted spelt flour makes digestion easier, as well as packs in amazing nutrition. It’s high in manganese which is a trace mineral that is essential for your health. Sprouted spelt flour is also high in fiber to help with blood sugar levels and also lower in gluten than wheat flour.
Oats- Oats are such an amazing grain they are rich in carbs and fiber and are very high in many vitamins and minerals. They have been shown to actually help reduce blood sugar levels as well. Source
Recipe and Substitutions for these Blueberry Lemon Oat bars
Substitutions for this recipe-
- To make the recipe sugar free you can replace the coconut sugar with monk fruit sugar or a great product called Liva, it is a sweetener that only uses dried raw organic dates.
- If you don’t have any blueberries on hand you can sub for raspberries.
- The lemon zest in the bars makes a magical so don’t omit that one ingredient.
- You can sub chia seeds for recipe starch or flour to thicken the blueberry mixture. Just make sure you take some out and mix in a bowl before adding to the whole mixture to not get lumps in your blueberry filling.
One of my healthy nourishing smoothie recipes would go great with these Vegan Blueberry Lemon Oat bars for a complete afternoon snack:
If you make this recipe and love it! Please tag me in your IG photos or stories @crystalhughes . I always love seeing your creations.
With much love coming from my kitchen to yours,
Yields 16 bars
Healthy Vegan Blueberry Oat Bars that will have your whole family excited about snack time. This recipe is quick, delicious and packed with healthy whole grain ingredients.
35 minTotal Time
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries
- 2 lemons (just the zest)
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or sub for date or monk sugar
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 6 tbsp shredded coconut unsweetened
- 3/4 cup whole grain spelt flour
- 1/2 cup white spelt flour
- 3 cups quick oats
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or 1 cup of date sugar from Liva
- 1 cup plant based milk
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line a 9X9 inch pan with parchment paper
- Add blueberries, coconut sugar, lemon zest from 2 lemons, 1/2 juiced lemon, and chia seeds to a small sauce pan and put on stove at medium heat.
- Once the blueberries are boiling turn temperature down to simmer and stir frequently until it thickens, about 5-8 mins.
- Pull the spoon along the bottom of pot through blueberry sauce, if the bottom of the pan isn't filled quickly with liquid you know your blueberry filling is thick enough.
- Take blueberry filling off heat and let cool.
- Place coconut oil in a separate pot on stove and melt until it turns to liquid and set aside.
- Place oats, flour, salt, coconut sugar, lemon zest, plant milk, and melted coconut oil into a bowl and mix well with a spoon.
- Put just over half the mixture into the pan and press down with a flat surface. I used the bottom of my measuring cup.
- When bottom layer is spread evenly and pressed flat, pour on the blueberry filling and spread out evenly.
- Then sprinkle the rest of the oat mixture on top.
- Bake for 20 mins.
- Let cool before cutting.
- I cut into 16 bars
- Store in the fridge in a air tight container.
Look above recipe for substitutions.