These lemon almond protein balls the perfect after-workout snack! They are packed with all the right nutrients to get you rolling again. These protein balls are gluten-free, low in carbs, and super easy to make.
Not only can you have it as a post-workout snack, but you can also have it for a treat when you are craving something sweet. These protein balls won’t spike and crash your blood sugar levels, so you can even eat it as a nighttime snack.
American Dream Nut Butter is what makes these protein balls great!
Their SQUEEZE THE DAY ALMOND BUTTER is
- Low in carbs
- Low in sugar
- Packed with protein
- Made in small batches
Nutrition facts of these Protein Bliss Balls
What you will need to make these Lemon Almond Protein Balls
- SQUEEZE THE DAY ALMOND BUTTER
- Coconut flour
- Plain protein of choice (I used brown rice)
- Sweetener of choice (I used agave)
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
Substitutions for these Lemon Almond Protein Balls
- Coconut flour- You can sub this for almond flour.
- Protein powder– I find unflavoured works best for this recipe. I used rice protein powder, but you can use a pea-based one, or if you aren’t vegan, you can use a whey.
- Sweetener- You can use maple syrup, agave syrup, monk fruit sweetener, or brown rice syrup.
- Squeeze the Day Almond Butter– If you don’t have access to the American Dream nut butter, you can use just plain almond butter, you will need 16 oz. You will also need to add another zested lemon and add in an additional 2 tbsp of sweetener.
Making your Lemon Almond Protein Balls
These Protein balls are super easy to make and take no time at all!! You don’t even need a food processor or blender for this recipe.
You just need one medium sized bowl and one small bowl! Perfect for easy clean up.
You have the option of making 35 small balls or 17, 1.5-inch ones. I prefer larger ones because it takes less time to roll them and then you only need one for a snack. But if you want a smaller version, you can roll them smaller 🙂
Making sure your batter isn’t too dry
If your batter is extra dry, you can add 2 tsp of plant-based milk at a time, until it is able to hold together.
Zesting your lemon
You don’t want bitter bliss balls! To avoid this, you need to make sure that you are just getting the yellow skin of the lemon. If you get the white rind, it can make your lemon balls bitter. The best way to do this is to have a sharp zester. I don’t put mine in the dishwasher because it dulls the cutting surface. So hand wash only.
Storing Your Lemon Almond Protein Balls
I find the Protein Balls taste better the next day after they have had a day to let the lemon rind flavours diffuse. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
You can also store them in the freezer as well if you need them. They are fun to eat from frozen on a hot day. You can warm them up to room temperature as well for easy post-gym snacks.
I hope you love snacking on these protein balls!! These would go perfect with a smoothie like this Green Ginger Zinger Smoothie or this Antioxidant Berry Smoothie
I would love to hear in the comments below how you loved this recipe.
With love from our kitchen to yours,
Yields 17 Balls
The perfect post workout snack. These lemon protein balls are super tasty and packed with healthy ingredients. You will love the burst of lemon in your mouth. They are gluten-free and clean up is a breeze!
8 minTotal Time
- 1 jar of Squeeze the Day Almond Butter (American Dream Nut Butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour or 1 cup if you omit protein powder
- 1/2 cup unflavoured protein powder of choice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened fine coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup agave syrup or maple syrup
- 2 medium lemons
- 1/4 cup plant based milk
- 1. Zest and juice both lemons. Pour into a medium sized bowl.
- 2. Add in coconut flour, 1/4 cup coconut flakes, protein powder, agave syrup, and Squeeze The Day Almond Butter into with the lemon juice and zest.
- 3. Mix all the ingredients well with a spoon. If mixture is too dry add 1 tsp more of milk until it holds together.
- 4. Roll into 17 1.5 inch balls.
- 5. Roll balls around in a small dish with 1/4 cup left over coconut flakes.
- 6. Store in fridge in an airtight container.
This post was sponsored by American Dream Nut Butter. The best nut butters around!