Caesar Salad is always on repeat at our house. When I switched to a plant-based way of eating, I wanted a vegan caesar salad that tasted just as good as the original. So I created this recipe and put it to the test against all my non-vegan friends. They all gave it 2 thumbs up. I hope you love it too!
I teamed up with Silver Hills Bakery to give you this delicious recipe because every Vegan Caesar salad needs delicious healthy croutons! Our family has been eating sprouted grain bread from Silvery Hills now for over 15 years. It’s my favourite healthy bread.
Why I love Silver Hills Sprouted Grain Bread:
- No chemicals. Glyphosate chemicals are no joke and are in every wheat product you have unless it is labelled organic. You can rest assured that you are not getting any added sprays or chemicals in your bread from Silvery Hills.
- Sprouted Grains. Silver Hills uses the entire whole grain. Their organic grains are cleaned, rinsed, and soaked in water until they begin to sprout. This is important because it unlocks valuable nutrients for our bodies.
- Blood Sugar Balance. White bread can spike blood sugar levels, but not Silver Hills loaves of bread. This is due to their sprouting process that releases vital enzymes to help break down starches and digestive inhibitors. This makes sprouted grains low in the glycemic index perfect for a heart health month this February.
- Great taste, great ingredients. With their simple bread ingredients, you can rest assured that everything is the way mother nature intended it. I love all their bread but the Squirrelly and Queen’s Khorasan (used in this recipe) are my favourites.
- Heart Health. Silver hills bread helps add healthy fibre to your diet that can help reduce heart disease. Also, whole grains are loaded with antioxidants and protective plant-based phytosterols, which can provide benefits to help lower the risk of heart issues.
Vegan Caesar Salad Recipe
What you will need
- Silver Hills Bread I used Queen’s Khorasan
- Vegan Mayo (Use your favourite brand I used a soy-free Avocado oil one)
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- Grainy Dijon Mustard
- Nutritional Yeast
- Romaine lettuce heart
- Italian seasoning
- Olive oil
The great part about these croutons is that you can use them in any recipe calling for croutons like a vegan stuffing. You can also pulse them in a food processor and use them for bread crumbs.
Croutons are best cooked at a lower heat for a longer time as you want the bread to completely dry out so they stay extra crunchy and you can also store these in a zip lock bag on the counter for 3 days.
This caesar dressing is super quick and easy and you should have most of the ingredients already on hand. The dressing is better when it has time to let the ingredients blend. This recipe makes a 2/3 cup.
I used Kale and romaine but you can just use straight Kale or romaine lettuce. I like having the balance of both personally. And because I used romaine hearts in the recipe it is nice to add in the dark leaf of the kale for extra nutrition.
I hope you love creating this recipe as much as I enjoyed making it! We had it last night for dinner and everyone loved it. My daughter loves Caesar salad and this passed that tough food critic.
This dish would be a perfect side dish to my Vegan Beet Burger Recipe
If you loved this recipe I would love to see your creations. Tag me on IG @CrystalHughes
Yields 4 servings
A delicious Vegan Caesar Salad that all your non-vegan friends will love. Topped with sprouted grain croutons. This is going to be a new classic caesar salad to add to your families Italian food nights.
20 minTotal Time
- 4 slices of Silver Hill Queen's Khorasan or another type of their sprouted grain bread
- Pinch of salt and Pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Vegan Mayo
- 2 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 medium lemon)
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 1 garlic clove minced or pressed through garlic press
- 1/8 tsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp grainy dijon mustard
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Romaine heart (approximately 3 cups of lettuce when cut)
- 2 cups packed with kale chopped
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 320F.
- Take the bread and slice off the crust. Cut into 16- 2 cm squares.
- Place all pieces of bread into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, Italian seasoning, a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well. Pour bread crumbs onto a cookie tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10- 12 minutes until golden brown and feel dried out. Stir them at the 5-minute mark.
- Once cooked, remove from oven and pour onto a plate to cool.
- While croutons are baking make the dressing.
- Place vegan mayo, lemon juice, grainy dijon mustard, minced garlic, vegan Worcestershire sauce, nutritional yeast, and a pinch of salt and pepper into a bowl. Mix with a whisk and set aside. Makes 2/3 of a cup of dressing.
- Chop Kale and Romaine into bite-sized pieces and put them into a large bowl. Slice lemon into wedges.
- When ready to serve to pour dressing over the kale, romaine lettuce, and croutons, then mix well. Serve with a lemon to garnish.
This post was sponsored by Silver Hills Bakery. But I would never share any products I don’t love and use in my own home.